Thursday, September 18, 2008

Our Dental Fiasco!!!

OK, so the boys are all in bed and I thought I would share with all of you what has been going on with our family since Tuesday. Tuesday was my brother's birthday so we went to my mom's for dinner and cake. Whilst we were there, Little Man



decided to run into a wall and knock a tooth out.


At first, we couldn't find the tooth but, then Michael found it.

We called the dentist's office (which, of course, was closed) and the recording told me to put the tooth in milk and go to the ER. We went to the ER and they took us back right away. The doctor came in and checked his mouth to make sure nothing else was loose and told us that they don't reattach baby teeth. He said he thought that there was still a piece of the tooth in the gums but that we would need an x-ray. He told us that we should go to the dentist first thing in the morning and gave the boy a Popsicle. I paid a $75 copay for a red Popsicle!!!

The next morning at 7:30, I called the dentist and they worked us in for 9 AM. They took and x-ray and confirmed what the ER doctor told us. He didn't knock the tooth completely out, he cracked it below the gum line. She referred us to the pediatric dentist. They made the appointment for 11:30 today because they didn't want his gums to close over the broken tooth.

So this morning, we go to the pediatric dentist and they point out that he broke the root into a few pieces and explained how he would remove it. Upon further examination, said dentist informs me that Little Man has 2 other cavities that needed to be filled. I was grateful that they didn't have to put him out . . . they just gave him some nitrous oxide and Novocain. They were done in 20 minutes. The boy was drenched in sweat and tears but recovered as soon as we left the office. This traumatic experience was brought to you by the number 223 (as in dollars that our dental insurance won't cover).


All in all, I can't complain. It could have been worse and Little Man was back to his crazy, rambunctious self within an hour. Tonight, right before bed, he said, "Hey Mama, watch this!" I cringed as I watched him run and throw himself on the floor like he was sliding into 2nd. Will he ever calm down?!?!?!


Yes, I know he needs a haircut!!!

2 comments:

Mom in High Heels said...

OUCH! Poor thing.
You've been tagged on my blog. Go check it out. BTW, now you have 4 readers. ;)

Robin said...

OH my Goodness!!! The memories of days with a BOY and the cringing of the mother of said boy...LOL!

Been there done that! My BOY, as you probably know from reading MY Blog, is NOW 30 years old...someday, I'll tell you how sometimes he can STILL make me Cringe with Certain words!!!

Wanna switch Fireplaces?? LOL!

Ya know what I still dread when I look at pics of your home??? Those "strips" of wood that bridge every sheet of wallpapered drywall in your home...brings back MANY memories of filling in said gaps and then sanding and sanding to get that REAL WALL look! Only have 5 more rooms to do! LOL!

I wish I was in NC....that is where my son is....in Raleigh!

Till Another Time!