Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting

This morning, I was inspired to create in the kitchen so I made myself this breakfast. It was wonderfully delicious and satisfying. I sautéed some baby kale in butter and garlic and topped it with 3 over easy eggs and 4 strips of bacon. It was SOOOOOOOO good!


After breakfast, I decided I wanted to bake something delicious but healthy to share with the family after dinner. I am not really a cupcake person. I don't really like frosting. I would much rather have a cookie, a warm brownie, a milkshake or sundae, etc. I do love pound cake but, I did not want to wait that long. I used to make an awesome blueberry lemon pound cake before I went grain free and sugar free so I decided to try something along those lines. I used the THM Baking Blend in place of my flour and it worked great. I also didn't want people to say that I put frosting on blueberry muffins so, I made a filling out of the blueberries and it created a layered effect. I put 2 Tbsp of batter in each cupcake liner and then a teaspoon of the filling and then topped it with 2 more Tbsp of batter. Here are my cupcakes with the filling but before I covered them over. I was just going to make a cream cheese frosting with vanilla and stevia but, I had leftover filling and so I just mixed it into the softened cream cheese. It is amazing frosting!


Here is my finished product. My husband said that he couldn't tell that it was not a junk food cupcake and they were so moist.


These are an S treat if you follow THM. They are low carb, sugar free, and high protein. Here is the recipe:

Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes with Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and either grease a 12 muffin pan or use cupcake liners like I did. Prepare the filling by blending everything in the blender until smooth.

Filling:
1/4 cup + 1/8 cup frozen wild blueberries, thawed (I used Trader Joe's organic wild blueberries)
2 TBSP xylitol (I used Xyla)
2 doonks pure stevia extract (I used NOW Organic Better Stevia)
1 TBSP Butter, melted (I used Kerrygold)

Blend and set aside. Next, add all your ingredients to a large bowl and mix with a hand mixer until smooth.

Cupcake Batter:
1 cup xylitol (I used Xyla)
1/3 cup butter, melted (I used Kerrygold)
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I used Silk)
6 TBSP carton egg whites or 2 egg whites or 1 egg and 1 TBSP egg whites (I used Just Whites)
2 TBSP lemon juice (bottled or fresh is fine)
1 tsp pure lemon extract (I used McCormack)
2 tsp aluminum free baking powder ( I get a giant one at Sam's Club)
1/4 tsp of sea salt or pink Himalaya salt (I used the pink from Trader Joe's)
2 cups of THM Baking Blend
1/2 cup pureed yellow summer squash (steam it, blend it and measure out 1/2 cup)

Blend it all until smooth and fill each cupcake liner with 2 level TBSP of batter. Then, put a small dollop of the filling in the center of each cupcake. I used a small iced tea spoon. It was probably no more than 1 tsp measured. Then, top each one off with 2 more level TBSP of the batter. If there is any batter left over, distribute it evenly among the cups. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until they are golden around the edges and the tops spring back slightly. Mine took the full 30 minutes so just start checking at 20 minutes and bake until golden.  They should not be completely golden . . . just on the edges and little peaks. Remove them from the pan to cool on a cooling rack. Let them cool completely. OR . . . if you are impatient like me, place your cooling rack in the freezer for 30 minutes. While they are cooling, make the frosting.

Frosting:
8 ounce brick of cream cheese, softened (I used full fat)
the rest of the blueberry filling (You should have enough left to make a nice lavender frosting)

Mix by hand or with a mixer and frost the cupcakes. You can always taste and add sweetener to the frosting but mine did not need it.  Enjoy!

***NOTES . . .

I store them in the fridge because they are so good cold and because of the cream cheese frosting.

This recipe makes 12 regular sized cupcakes. The nutrition information is based on the exact ingredients I used and the exact measurements.

Each cupcake has: 168 calories, 14.6g fat, less than 1.9g net carbs and 6.3g protein.